Thursday, January 3, 2013

Holiday season observations


Blogging things out of order is totally acceptable right? Some of these are serious and some are just for fun, but in 2012 I tried to change my view on a lot of things, be more open to new things, practice patience and let the small stuff roll off my shoulders. In doing so, I was rudely reminded of some of my past behavior and was disgusted. I also found that some things I will never be all that open minded about. So now, my 10 observations from holiday season 2012…

            1) People really do need to embrace the Christmas spirit – complaining, being rude and whining are really ugly qualities on just about everyone over the age of 5 3 2. I swear I would be shopping, driving or running an errand and I would be faced with at least one person who was just awful.  If I were them, I would be embarrassed that I acted like that in public (or in private for that matter). On one hand, I wanted to give them a hug, but on the other, I wanted to look at them and say that Christmas time is supposed to be a time full of joy and celebration of our Jesus and to stop trying to ruin it for everyone around you. It isn’t the store clerk’s fault that you waited until Christmas Eve to do all of your shopping and you have to wait in line with all the other slackers.

I also think we should be in the “Christmas spirit” all year round. Yes, of course there will be bad days, but it doesn't have to ruin you forever. Don't be a scrooge.

      2) Going out is not nearly as fun as it once was. I get super tired really early and cringe every time I put down $4.00 for one Bud Light.  All I can think is that for the price of two beers I could have almost bought a 12 pack and taken it home and I wouldn’t have had to think about whether or not I need a cab/be scared about cops. If I have changed this much in the last year or so, I’m afraid of what this next year will do.  Watch our Kroger, you may have yourself a new extreme couponer by this time next year.

3)   As quick as people were to tweet, Facebook and talk about the Sandy Hook tragedy and the importance of enjoying life and those in it, they just as quickly forgot. After a few days I started to wonder if those tweet, statuses and conversations were really honest. The same people who were adamant about the importance of life, how short it can be and the importance of enjoying those in your life were just as quick to forget the importance of enjoying life, living life to the fullest and cherishing the people they have in their lives. (Note: This was not everyone, just a select few.)

      4) When you have a job you actually like, it really makes a HUGE difference in your everyday life and your general outlook on everything.

5) The entire subject of gun control is the most annoying subject in the history of the world (maybe behind politics), but in this case they go hand in hand. The gun debate was decided when you voted for our last president. It may not have been one of the social topics (a whole different topic of its own) you voted on, but nonetheless, the government in place right now will decide new policies on guns in America. If you didn’t vote for our current president, then you participated in our democracy and unfortunately the majority of the country did not agree with you. (For the record, I did not vote for our current president and have no comment on gun control because I honestly don’t know enough about the situation to form an educated opinion.)

6) There are A LOT of people getting married in 2013 and I’m so excited to be a part of those special days whether as a wedding party member or just a regular old guest. And (this is not meant to be offensive at all because it really doesn't matter) but a lot of people get engaged around Christmas… like A LOT.
     7)  I am really lazy and lack the motivation to workout. I’m planning to ease myself into it by starting a very limited workout plan that hopefully will expand itself as I get stronger. This is not a New Year’s Resolution. If I think of it as just something I need to do vs. something like a resolution, I may be more willing to stick with it. We will see. (I feel like a broken record, but I promise I am getting closer and closer to actually doing this).

8) Truck “balls” or whatever you call those horrid things that hang from a person’s car/truck/van/tractor/bike/whatever are absolutely well, horrid. Sometimes I just wonder what possessed someone to invent them and worse, what possesses someone to buy them and want to drive around town with them on their car/truck/van/tractor/bike/whatever? These are the things that go through my head while I drive/am in traffic. 
** I will spare you a picture of this one **

9)  Despite what was drilled into my head for 25 years of my life (well maybe only 20 or so), there should only be one space after a period. One space? Are you sure? Trust me breaking this habit is SO FREAKING HARD. Fortunately, my boss is very patient with me and nicely reminds me that I should only put one space when I forget/add two out of habit.

10) My friends don’t blog enough J (this has nothing to do with the holiday season, but      
 more an all year thing)

1 comment:

  1. Good morning!! I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check it out...http://www.livingrunningcooking.com/2013/02/my-first-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete