Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

If there is one thing that people always find out about me is that my favorite holiday is Valentine's Day. I just love it, always have, always will. Single, dating, whatever I just love this day. Most people question me and refuse to believe that no matter my relationship status, this day will always be my favorite holiday. Other people question my reasons for why I love this holiday, is it because you like flowers and candy and gifts? My response is always, does there always have to be a ulterior motive for loving something?

So here it is, my reasons for loving a holiday that so many people hate.

Valentine's Day has always been a holiday that my family has celebrated. No we don't go all out or decorate the house or anything crazy, but we definitely recognized the day. From as far off as I can remember I always woke up on Valentine's Day to a flower from my dad. A single red rose, always with baby's breath. With the rose is always a card that reads "From the Man who loved you first." I am not sure if there is ever an end to this tradition, but I hope that day never comes. I have started keeping the cards and saving them. I'm hoping to make a collage or shadow box at some point in my life.

My mom has also been a fun Valentine's Day mom. We always get little nic-nac things. When we were little it was fun toys, now it is usualy something she thinks we will like. Never very expensive, but always from the heart which I love. Now yes I know this goes against my flower and gift thing, but it isn't the gift that I love so much, it is the heart that is behind it.

Another reason for Valentine's Day being a favorite is because of another childhood tradition, Daddy Daughter Date night. My sister, my Dad and I would get all dressed up in our favorite Sunday dresses (or for my dad, his favorite kahakis and white shirt with blue blazer) and we would spend the night eating, drinking punch, and dancing to favorites like YMCA. Oh yea, we were the best dancers out there. I remember how sad I was when they told me I was too old to go anymore. Shoot, I'm right at 24 and I would totally still go dance the night away with my Dad. Silly rules.

I love the attitude that some people get when talking about Valentine's Day. The people that can see past the gifts, all the hearts, red and pink everywhere, flowers, teddy bears, and chocolates see the real reason for Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day puts love in the spotlight. Not always love between a husband and wife, or boyfriend and girlfriend. It can be love of friends, family, pets, whatever. It is a day to celebrate the concept of love with the people you love. Whether you celebrate with a date or with a group of friends, this day is all about love.

Next year I will love Valentine's Day, in 10 years I will love Valentine's Day, 30 years yep still going to love it.

I hope you all enjoyed your Valentine's Day as much as I did. J and I had a wonderful Valentine's Day. Next time you think of Valentine's Day as "Single's Awareness Day" think of all the other people in your life that you love and that love you. No one can be upset about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment