Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lessons Learned through others

Last week Auburn University lost two precious students. Both girls younger than me, both with what many thought was a long life ahead of them. I knew neither of the two, but still their stories hit me hard.

There is no way to know how many breathes we have lefts, how many more experiences we have ahead of us, or how much time we have to build new memories. There is no way to know if today is our last day on earth, if our last conversation with our parents, bestfriends, coworkers, significant other has already happened, if something will happen that will change the course of our lives (or another's life) forever. There is an uncertainty about life that we cannot ever fully grasp.

There is no way I can even begin to think I understand how their families and friends are feeling. There is no way that I can understand their hurt, anger, loneliness. I've never experienced losing someone so young, and honestly hope I never have to. But what I can say to their loved ones is that their daughter, sister, friend touched lives far beyond what they can imagine.

These two girls have reminded me an important lesson. Live life to the fullest while I have it. Don't be so scared to try new things, to go places I never thought possible, to jump out of my shell, to forgive and forget, and mostly to cherish and love the people I am blessed to still have in my life. Life is a gift.

I want to live the life I have, overall be a kinder, more forgiving, more generous, extremely outgoing person. I want to be sure to tell the people I love that I love them any chance I get. I want to feel as if at the end of each day, I have lived the day to it's fullest.

Rest in Peace Mary Beth and Jessica. You may be gone, but your memory will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment