Thursday, August 19, 2010

The power of positive thinking

I've been doing some soul searching over the past year and found I can be a bit of a negative Nancy, so over the past few months, I've been working on being a more positive person. I have been doing so well, but recently it's been really hard to see the good in situations. I've been surrounded by a lot of negative thinking and it is beginning to take its toll.

People are not nice. They are rude and hateful, spiteful and catty. Now yes, I know not everyone is, but a lot of people I've come across lately have been. How in the world can you get the mindset that you are better than someone else? I've seen this through action towards me, actions towards others, stories told by others, rude comments, mean words, everything. I do not get it. Why act like that? What benefit do you get?

While they are doing their best to bring people down, I'm working on being compassionate to people I don't have any interest in showing compassion to. I know that this is the right thing to do, but man is it hard. I have to keep telling myself getting mad is not worth it, being mean is not worth it, compassion is my only answer, so I will keep trying.

Work is overly stressful lately and a lot of people are unhappy about one thing or another. I catch myself getting mad alongside everyone else when I know there is nothing that I can do to change the situation. It's frustrating and everyone has valid reasons to get mad, and I definitely don't think they are wrong in any way. I cannot control their thoughts or their emotions, I can only control my own. I need to keep a positive mindset, I need to try and help them see other sides, I need to put the fire out and not continue to add to it.

I've got a lot of work to do and I am going to continue to struggle, but I need to see these "bumps in the road" as great learning experiences, chances to grow. I need to learn from these on my journey to be the person I know I am meant to be.

I may not find that person completely for a while, but I am wiling to try, I'm willing to go wherever I need to go to do it, I'm willing to give up certain things knowing I will gain others. It's a long road, but I'm inching along.

What are you struggling with? What negative things can you work to make positive?

No comments:

Post a Comment