Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A glass of wine and a bestfriend

Last night my mind was going 100 miles an hour. You know those nights when you have 20,000 different things going on in your head at one time? When all you want to do is not think about anything and just either go to bed or get back to what you were trying to do? When you realize that half of the things don't matter, but your mind won't let you forget them for some reason. Yep, that was me last night.

So, when I needed to refocus, I turned to one person who is always there for me, my best friend Amanda. As I talked to her about the things I've been thinking about, worrying about, and considering I started to feel better and begun to feel good again and let my mind rest.

For the record, I love all of my friends and there are many (most) who will be there at any time, sometimes before I even have the chance to ask (which is such a blessing). I'm blessed to have friends who are in all stages of life (married, newly single, in a relationship, having children, wanting children, not wanting children, working, not working, in school, graduated, living in small cities, living in big cities, starting their own life in a familiar town, starting a life in an unfamiliar town, Auburn lovers, Not-so-loving of Auburn, etc.) who are never shy to give me advice or express their opinion, or let me learn through their mistakes, successes, or day to day lives.

But, Amanda and I are on the same page right now on a lot of things. Amanda and I are both pretty recently single (within the last year) from long relationships. We both are considering venturing out into the dating world (and quickly remembering why we don't love it). We both have made our fair share of mistakes lately. We both have similar views of our jobs, our cities, and the general direction of where our lives are now vs. how we pictured how/where they would be a few years ago and where we want to be in the coming years.

Last night when I needed to vent and to talk out some stuff, she was there to listen and, like a best friend always does, she sympathized, she gave me advice, and she worked me towards a better attitude. I laughed, I cried, I felt her pain and she felt mine. It just goes to show you that you can be hours away from someone, but some friends will always be there.

Now despite the fact that my to do list isn’t any shorter, I still have some life decisions to make, and I realize I'm not as patient recently as I thought I was, I feel better. Thank the Lord for struggles that help you remember the great things in life that are often times overshadowed by all the stress and problems. The Lord works in mysterious ways, and right now, those mysterious ways are not only keeping me on my toes, they are making me more appreciative of the great things that I have in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment